A Texas man has gone viral after sharing images of his head after suffering a large sunburn.
Cade Huckabay, 21, shared photos on Twitter of a really horrible sunburn he received six months ago. The images shocked the social network and won more than 98,000 retweets in just two days.
One time I shaved my head, got severely sunburned, & swelled up just a little bit 🙂 pic.twitter.com/9FWw3jcdYf
— Cade Huckabay (@CadeHuckabay) December 5, 2017
“I was sunburned about six months ago while I was mowing a field, I shaved my head a day or two before cutting to see what it would look like,” Cade said.
“I was not even thinking about that while I was working, so I forgot to put on sunscreen or wear a hat for hours, I did not realize how bad it was until the next day when it really started to swell.”
In the photos that Cade published, he can push his forehead and leave a considerable dent. This left many on Twitter asking “how does that happen?”
Fortunately for us, Dr. Jeff Foster, who has a private medical practice at the Spire Parkway Hospital in Solihull, gave us an explanation.
“It’s just subcutaneous edema, a fluid under the skin that pushes against a hard skull so it looks very dramatic,” he said.
“Basically it is a skin irritation of creams, soaps or, as it seems in this case, sunburn.” The skin on his head is damaged, inflamed and effectively “loses” fluid.
“Due to the nature of your skull, the fluid has to be spilled somewhere, since it will not stay on top of the head due to gravity, so it slides down on the forehead creating a spongy area , bumpy and wobbly that you can press with your finger, eventually it will be reabsorbed in the body. “