Water respite for TN? Centre mulls transfer of surplus water from Godavari to Cauvery

0
355

To deal with the shortage of water in the south, the Godavari’s surplus water will soon be channeled to the Cauvery and a meeting of the main ministers of the different states will be held in this regard to design a strategy.

This was announced by the Union Minister for Water Resources Nitin Gadkari on Thursday, according to a report in the Times of India.

Gadkari held a review meeting with Tamil Nadu chief Minister Edappadi Palaniswami in Chennai, and told reporters that there are two fluvial link projects on the anvil that would provide relief to water-scarce states.

“My ministry has decided to transfer the surplus water from the Godavari River to Krishna, the Pennar River (Karnataka) and finally to Cauvery. We will prepare the technical proposals and invite the four CMs (Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Telangana) to obtain their consent, “he said, according to a report in the Deccan Chronicle.

According to the plan, 300tmc will be transferred initially from the Godavari to the Polavaram project (Andhra Pradesh) through the Nagarjuna Sagar dam and then to the Krishna river.

After being transferred to Somasila Dam on the Pennar River, the water will be taken to the Grand Anaicut Dam in Cauvery, the report says.

“We will treat these projects as national projects because it is a fluvial connectivity project … and 90% of the cost of the project will be borne by the government of India and the remaining 10% of state governments,” he said.

While saying that 90% of the cost will be borne by the Center and 10% of state governments, Gadkari said that nearly 3,000 metric tons of water from Godavari were being wasted at sea.

In case Karnataka does not accept the plan, the Center will continue with the second water supply project from the Indravati River to the Nagarjuna Sagar dam, adds the DC report.

Meanwhile, the CM of Tamil Nadu also sent a memorandum to Gadkari, urging the Center to form a Cauvery Board of Directors and a Cauvery Water Regulation Committee quickly according to the final order of the Cauvery tribunal.

“Farmers in the Tamil Nadu delta areas who depend on Cauvery water for irrigation are uneasy about the long delay in the constitution of the council,” the chief minister said.