How earlier ceasefires in Valley, announced by militants and govt, fared

0
147

A week after Prime Minister Mehbooba Mufti asked the Center to consider a ceasefire for a peaceful Ramzan and Amarnath Yatra, on Wednesday the Center announced a halt to stop anti-Castro operations in Jammu and Kashmir. The appeal came after the idea came up in a meeting of all parties convened by the Chief Minister in Srinagar to discuss the situation in the Valley. However, this is not the first time that the Valley has seen the cessation of hostilities.

1994, JKLF: Yasin Malik, head of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), announced a unilateral ceasefire and turned his pro-independence militant team into a separatist political party. The government, however, did not respond and, according to Malik, several hundred JKLF activists were killed even after the announcement of a ceasefire. Several years later, Malik claimed that Western powers had pushed him to cease fire, and that some Indian intellectuals had also played a role.

2000, Hizb: On July 24, 2000, Hizbul Mujahideen announced an unexpected halt to its operations. The then head of operations of the team, Abdul Majeed Dar, traveled to Kashmir and declared a ceasefire, and the government responded immediately by stopping the antimilitan operations. Dar and his associates engaged in a dialogue with the Center shortly thereafter, and on August 4, Hizb militants and the Army played a cricket match in Kupwara. However, the following month, the leader of Hizb, based in Pakistan, Syed Salahuddin suspended the cessation of hostilities and marginalized Dar. In 2002, the Hizb expelled him, and on March 24, 2003, he was murdered in front of his house in Sopore.

2000, Center: On November 19, 2000, the government of Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee announced a unilateral ceasefire on the eve of Ramzan, which was implemented on November 28. The ceasefire was extended three times and lasted until May 30, 2001. The militant However, the teams rejected the ceasefire and continued to attack the security forces.

While the Center said on Wednesday that security forces had been asked not to initiate anti-Roman operations during the holy month of Ramzan that begins on Thursday, the forces will have “the right to retaliate if they are attacked or if they are essential to protect the lives of innocent people. ” “The announcement came two days before Prime Minister Narendra Modi visits the Valley.

The main parties in the state have welcomed the announcement, but the separatists have remained silent. The Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) has rejected the ceasefire.

Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti told The Indian Express: “The Minister of the Interior, Rajnath Singh, called me to say that the Center had decided on a ceasefire during the month of Ramzan … This is very good news. support this initiative. ”

The chief minister said that she hoped that Pakistan would respond positively, “so that the militants, respecting the sacred month of Ramzan, also give a positive response and help us to stop the bloodshed that is happening in recent years.”

During the first four months of the year, more than 50 militants and at least 37 civilians have died, mainly during antimilitan operations, in southern Kashmir. Despite the success of Army operations, young people have remained interested in joining militant organizations.

Former chief Minister and opposition leader Omar Abdullah said the militants would be “exposed” if they do not respond to the ceasefire. “At the request of all political parties (except the BJP, which had opposed), the Center announced a unilateral ceasefire, and if the militants do not respond in the same way, they will be exposed as the real enemies of the people.” , published Omar on Twitter.