Discharged from AIIMS, Lalu Prasad Yadav claims conspiracy


After serving his sentence after his conviction in cases of fraud, the former chief minister of Bihar and head of the RJD, Lalu Prasad, was discharged from AIIMS on Monday afternoon, amid protests and allegations by his party that there was a “conspiracy to kill him”.

The last visitor to Lalu’s private room at the hospital on Monday before being discharged was the president of the Congress, Rahul Gandhi, who exchanged some notes with Lalu, sources told Congress.

Lalu had previously written to the director of AIIMS, Randeep Guleria, asking him not to move him back to the Ranchi Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) under “pressure” from any political party or research agency, since “it was still not right”.

AIIMS authorities maintained that a medical council had reviewed its progress and the decision to discharge it was taken after it showed “a significant improvement”.

AIIMS also maintained that Lalu was discharged on Saturday. “However, he requested that he be kept in (the) hospital because he wanted to travel on Monday,” a spokesman said.

But Lalu and his son Tejashwi Yadav, the opposition leader at Bihar House, raised questions about the reasons behind the “sudden transfer”. Protests from RJD supporters allegedly left an injured security guard and a section of a glass door broke, after which AIIMS filed a complaint against unknown persons.

Speaking to reporters at the time of discharge, Lalu claimed that moving him back to Ranchi was a conspiracy intended to further deteriorate his health. “They move me to a place where there are no facilities, it’s a difficult time, but I’ll face it,” he said.

In his letter to the director of AIIMS, Lalu stated that he was still not well and that there was no specialized kidney treatment at RIMS. “A person has the right to receive adequate medical care, I do not know under what political or agency (investigator) pressure a decision is made to change to RIMS … If there are health complications after a decision of this type, the responsibility it would be yours, “he wrote.

The AIIMS spokesman said: “He was given injectable antibiotics and then oral antibiotics, his blood sugar was checked and he had an evaluation of his heart and kidney status, he showed a significant improvement, he had no fever and his antibiotics were The medical council met on April 28, reviewed its progress and decided that it was able to be discharged … “