Three militants and one civilian were killed on Saturday during a shootout and subsequent clashes in Srinagar, police said. A senior officer of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) told reporters that the three militants in hiding were killed in the shooting with security forces in the town of Gasi Mohalla, in the Chattabal area. . The security forces, including the police and the CRPF, surrounded the area after a warning about the presence of the militants. The militants belonged to the terrorist group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).
“Their identities are being determined,” the official said.
The civilian identified as Adil Ahmed Yadoo died after being hit by a vehicle during clashes between residents and security forces in Safa Kadal, a densely populated inner-city neighborhood on the banks of Jhelum. Locals have alleged that a CRPF vehicle ran over Yadoo, but his spokesman Rajesh Yadav refuted the claim.
“There was no CRPF vehicle in the area and the accusation is baseless,” Yadav said. He was taken to the S.M.H.S hospital in a critical condition where the doctors declared him dead.
A CRPF officer was wounded in the shooting while three photographers were injured while covering the clashes. Schools and colleges suspended class work as the tension in the city spread. Markets and other businesses closed. Authorities suspended mobile Internet services in Srinagar district and slowed down fixed line broadband connections.
The main advances in the meeting of Srinagar
1. Three militants of LeT killed in confrontation in J & K: a terrorist attack was thwarted today by the police of Jammu and Kashmir and three militants of Lashker-e-Taiba (LeT) were killed outside of Srinagar.
On the basis of an intelligence contribution, the Jammu and Kashmir Police Special Operations Group and the Central Reserve Force (CRPF) personnel cordoned off a building under construction this morning near the Chattabal area, police said. .
“All three militants were neutralized and I believe it was a Lashker-e-Taiba module,” said Inspector General of the Police (Kashmir Range) Swayam Prakash Pani, adding: “On the basis of materials recovered from the site , it was discovered that the terrorists belonged to the outlawed LeT. ”
3 terrorists have been killed, 3 security personnel have been injured. It was a clean operation, there has been no damage to the building. I thank the people of Srinagar for their cooperation: Ravideep Sahi, IG CRPF on Chattabal encounter #JammuAndKashmir pic.twitter.com/iEVMNBj3kG
— ANI (@ANI) May 5, 2018
2. Recovered weapons: in addition to three AK-47 rifles, a large quantity of ammunition, including five magazines each, and a medical kit were recovered from the militants.
3. Terrorist attack planned by terrorists: according to the police of Jammu and Kashmir, the terrorists may have wanted to carry out a terrorist attack before May 7, when the government offices are opened in Srinagar after moving from Jammu, the winter capital of the state.
4. Militants kill SPO in Pulwama: a special police officer (SPO) was killed by militants on Saturday in the Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir. The SPO, Showkat Ahmad, was taken to a hospital after the militants shot him. “Ahmad succumbed to serious gunshot wounds and a search was launched to track the militants,” said a police official. The SPOs participate in Jammu and Kashmir in a fixed monthly package to combat militancy. They do not undergo regular training in the handling of weapons.
5. Militants attacked the city of Baramulla on May 1: militants from Lashker-e-Taiba (LeT) attacked the city of Old Baramulla in Jammu and Kashmir and shot dead three men in their 20s. A police spokesman said the three people were attacked from close range in the Iqbal market in the city of Old Baramulla, killing them on the spot.
The deceased, Asif Ahmad Sheikh, Haseeb Ahmad Khan and Mohmmad Asgar were residents of Kakkar Hamam in Baramulla, he said.