3 LeT militants gunned down in Jammu and Kashmir


SRINAGAR: Jammu and Kashmir police and CRPF personnel thwarted a possible terrorist attack today by killing three Lashker-e-Taiba militants on the outskirts of the city this morning after a four-hour operation, authorities said. .

Four security personnel were injured in the shooting, but all are said to be stable.

The militants, according to the police, planned to carry out the strike on May 7, when the state government offices would reopen in Srinagar after moving from Jammu, the state’s winter capital.

The operation began late in Chattabal, on the outskirts of the city, when the staff of the Special Operations Group (SOG) of the state police and the Rapid Action Team (QAT) of the CRPF cordoned off a building under construction in the area after an entrance that three militants hid inside the facilities.

“Our first objective was to ensure that the civilians in the area were safe and, after ensuring that the CRPF police and personnel entered the building and were attacked by the terrorists who were there,” the inspector general of the police (Cordillera de Kashmir) Swayam Prakash Pani said here after the operation.

The shots were effectively answered and in subsequent operations, the three militants were killed, he said, adding that four security personnel were injured in the incident. All of them are stable now.

The operation was fast and definitive in four hours without collateral damage, Pani said, adding: “On the basis of the materials recovered from the site, it was discovered that the terrorists belonged to the outlaw Lashker-e-Taiba.”

One of the three militants was identified as Fayyaz Ahmed Hammal, who has been active for the past year.

The authorities said he is illiterate, about 30 years old and a resident of Khanka-e-Mohalla in the center of the city. He was involved in some cases related to the theft of weapons and terrorizing people.

The police officers believe that Hammal, who previously worked in a printing press and an active stone pelter, had the task of taking the other two militants, believed to be Pakistanis, to the city to carry out an attack.

The other two, according to doctors, suffered from gangrene, a disease that is the result of the fever that militants receive while infiltrating the entire region in conditions of extreme cold.

In addition to three AK rifles, a large amount of ammunition, including five magazines each, and a medical kit were recovered from the militants, police said.

The tension increased in the city due to the death of a man, as the locals alleged that the security forces shot him dead.

However, the autopsy report said the man was hit by a vehicle at high speed and that there were no bullet wounds, police said.

“A man, identified as Adil Ahmad Yadoo, was taken to the SMHS hospital, where the doctors pronounced him dead, according to the medical bulletin, he died in a traffic accident in Noorbagh,” a police spokesman said. It was almost four or five kilometers from the meeting place.

“In this sense, a case has been registered under the corresponding articles of the law and proceedings have been initiated against the police driver and the confiscated vehicle,” said a police spokesman.