While velvet and suede have once again roared in fashion in recent years, their corduroy cousin has remained a pariah of style, encumbered by associations with astute and informal businessmen of 1970 and professors of geography (of all the times).
But now, those same outcasts from the locker room have been welcomed again (because what is fashion if not inconstant?), With the cord from head to toe that seems to emerge on the fall / winter catwalks of Prada, Marc Jacobs and Lemaire , and the ribbed fabric gaining great traction also in the collections of the main street.
In autumn colors, such as copper, crimson, burgundy and a range of deep greens, the associations of the 70s are obvious, and the soft but resistant fabric is ideal to mix with other winter warmers, such as cashmere and cable fabrics .
We chose 10 main purchases to add to your cold weather closet. With these elegant pieces, you’ll soon want to get on board with the cable.
1. MiH Marty Cord Jeans, £ 195
2. Bonprix Bronze Soft Lace Blazer, £ 39.99; Vintage printed blouse, £ 19.99; Jeans, £ 29.99; Necklace, £ 14.99
3. Essential corduroy jacket La Redoute R, £ 49
4. Miss Selfridge Pink Balloon Sleeve Knitted Jumper, currently reduced to £ 22.50 from £ 30; A Burgundy line corduroy skirt, currently reduced to £ 21 from £ 28
5. Laura Ashley Cord Waist Tunic, currently reduced to £ 40 from £ 80
6. George at Asda Corduroy A-Line Skirt, £ 12.50
7. M & Co Petite Cable Knitted Turtle Collar Bridge, £ 29; Petite A-Line Cord Skirt, £ 22
8. Cath Kidston corduroy trousers, currently reduced to £ 42 from £ 70
9. Glamorous pink corduroy trucker jacket, £ 60
10. George at Asda Dungaree Dress, £ 16 (in stores later this month)